Thesis and Honors Program
Honors Research and Thesis Writing
The Thesis Research and Writing option is reserved for outstanding students majoring in African Americans Studies.
These students should submit the African American Studies Thesis Application Form to the department no later than March 15th of the junior year. To be eligible for doing honors research and writing, as well as qualifying for the honors designation, a student must first complete at least 15 credits of African American Studies courses with a minimum GPA of 3.67, and must also have a 3.40 GPA overall.
Starting at least two semesters prior to graduation, and after completing the requirements listed for eligibility, students must successfully complete a course of research reading (AFAM 4580) and **a senior honors thesis writing (AFAM 4600) with a grade of A- or higher in each course. ***Students must also formally ask a faculty sponsor to serve as a sponsor and mentor (and with permission of the director of undergraduate studies or chairperson).
Students must fill out the department application form and obtain the faculty mentor’s signature as well as the approval of the chair/director of undergraduate studies before registering for AFAM 4580 and AFAM 4600.
In summary, students must:
- Maintain a 3.67 GPA in African American Studies
- Maintain a 3.40 GPA overall
- Complete all requirements for major and degree
- Apply for departmental honors no later than the second semester of the junior year
- Receive chair approval
- Have taken AFAM 4560 Methodologies and Theories (with a B+ or higher) before registering for AFAM 4580 and AFAM 4600
- Take AFAM 4580 and AFAM 4600 consecutively during the senior year, earning grades of A- or higher in each course
- Research and write an honors thesis which earns a grade of A- or higher
**Because African American Studies is an interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary field, the thesis can use mixed methods and be critical or creative (written, performative, visual, digital, etc).
*** Students should understand that faculty are not required to serve as sponsor/mentors, and so serving as a sponsor/mentor is left to discretion of individual faculty.
The African American Studies Thesis Application Form: https://georgetown.box.com/s/zt1k0dttzgiykshe18my1vt0u05gvf3u